Dale Carnegie’s How to win friends and influence people is all about personality development and motivational book also teaches us life lessons. It is a self- help book which introduces ourselves. We learn in this book is that being a good person is OK, but to understand ourselves in the perspective of other people is more important. This book about understanding people’s perspectives, being a more confident person, and influence people through leadership qualities.
How to win friends and Influence People teaches you:
- Six ways to make people like you
- How to win people to your way of thinking
- Nine ways to change people without giving offense
Six ways to make people like you
- Become Interested in other people
- Be a good Listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves
- Remember that’s a person name
- Talk in terms of the other person’s interest
- Make the other person important
How to win people to your way of thinking
- The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it.
- Show respect for the other person’s opinions. Never say, “You’re wrong.”
- If you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically.
- Begin in a friendly way.
- Get the other person saying “yes, yes” immediately.
- Let the other person do a great deal of the talking.
- Let the other person feel that the idea is his or hers.
- Try honestly to see things from the other person’s point of view.
- Be sympathetic with the other person’s ideas and desires.
- Appeal to the nobler motives.
- Dramatize your ideas.
- Throw down a challenge.
Nine ways to change people without giving offense
- Begin with praise and honest appreciation.
- Call attention to people’s mistakes indirectly.
- Talk about your own mistakes before criticizing the other person.
- Ask questions instead of giving direct orders.
- Let the other person save face.
- Praise the slightest improvement and praise every improvement. Be “hearty in your approbation and lavish in your praise.”
- Give the other person a fine reputation to live up to.
- Use encouragement. Make the fault seem easy to correct.
- Make the other person happy about doing the thing you suggest.
I read How to Win Friends and influence people and I think it’s a perfect bunch of self-development books. From this book, I learn that how we can earn people, how we can understand them, build relationships, and how to influence others.
This book gives me a positive attitude towards life. I was so inspired that I start working on all these techniques and ready to improve myself better. One of the best personality development books.